Weekly Shonen Sunday - 8 Issues of Anime News
[caption id="attachment_7685" align="alignleft" width="134"] Courtesy of Manga News' twitter[/caption]
By now I'm sure everyone has read this on ANN, MAL or whatever news site you use; if you're seeing this for the first time then I feel happy you come for this site for news as well as reviews.
Anyways, in Issue #50 of Weekly Shonen Sunday it was announced that the following 8 issues would reveal news about anime adaptations. It wasn't made clear if 8 series currently running in Weekly Shonen Sunday would be getting anime adaptations, but one can only hope. It has been confirmed that the anime will air in 2013.
I've always been frustrated by the magazine's low circulation. I certainly think it has more interesting series than Weekly Shonen Magazine and some of the series are better than some Weekly Shonen Jump series. Regardless, we'll be seeing some new anime and here's a break down of everything anime related for Weekly Shonen Sunday.
Pre-Confirmed and Currently Airing
- Magi is currently airing so I doubt any news will be about it's anime.
- Hayate no Gotoku currently has an anime airing, so it's also unlikely for the news to be relevant to this series. I say unlikely because the anime is only 1-cour.
- Zettai Karen Children had it's new project confirmed a while back. It was recently confirmed to be a spin-off featuring a certain character. Doubt there's anything more about it.
- Detective Conan has had a long running anime since before One Piece. Only possible news is for it's end, which wouldn't warrant a whole issue.
Current Manga without Anime and Likelihood of Adaptation
Just to be clear, this list doesn't include every series for. I only so many series running in Weekly Shonen Sunday, so I can't comment on them all. Here's the ones I know something about:
- History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi - I remember never finishing HSDK's anime but I do remember reading how it ended at a point in the manga when it could be picked up again. I do know there is an OVA set waiting to be finished.
- The World God Only Knows - Yes there is the Tenri arc OVA waiting to be finished, however if the goddess arc were to get an anime, that would be amazing. Not sure if the first two seasons sold well enough, though this is one of my hopefuls.
- Arata Kangatari - Licensed in English, but no impressive rank or sales to speak of. That said, the mangaka is very accomplished in shojo circles and has had a couple of her works adapted into anime.
- Kyoukai no Rinne - Good rank and average sales. Biggest selling point for anime adaptation: from the author of Ranma 1/2 and InuYasha.
- Buyuden - A boxing manga by the author of Major. Definite potential for marketing.
- Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon) - Huge seller, good ranking and the author of Fullmetal Alchemist makes this the most likely candidate for an anime next year.
- Denpa Kyoushi - Very popular in Weekly Shonen Sunday's ToC, good sales and recent animated ads by A-1 Pictures makes it a likely candidate.
- Area D - Not enough source material and not popular enough.
- Anagle Mole - It's possible though I don't think it's popular enough.
Top Picks for Anime Adaptations
Gin no Saji
The World God Only Knows (Season 3)
Kyoukai no Rinne
What does everyone else think
Yellow Tanabe's Return to Weekly Shonen Sunday
Unrelated to this news, Kekkaishi's author will have a new series entitled Shuumatsu no Rafter starting in the next issue,