It’s that time of the year when Oricon releases cumulative sales figures for manga sales this year. Along with a top 30 list for best selling manga, they released a top 100 list for best selling manga volumes.
Here’s the gist of it, and you can view the full sales figures here.
- One Piece was #1 (big surprise), however it sold 16 million less than last year.
- Kuroko no Basket was propelled to #2 thanks to its anime popularity.
- Uchuu Kyoudai was also aided by an anime and got in at #4.
- Kimi ni Todoke dominated the shojo demographic. #6 on the list and the only shojo manga in the top 10.
- Silver Spoon has been creeping up the ranks and placed 7th.
- Hunter x Hunter got 8th. The only one that didn’t release multiple volumes this year.
- Magi’s anime is already impacting sales. It came in at #9.
- Inu x Boku SS sky rocketed thanks to the anime popularity. Selling over 2 million copies and placing 20th.
- The first four best selling manga are all One Piece volumes.
- Followed by Naruto.
- Followed by Kimi ni Todoke.
- Hunter x Hunter’s one volume that was released this year appears at #10.
- The rest of the list is mostly made up of Naruto, Kimi ni Todoke and One Piece’s older volumes.
- Silver Spoon, Bleach and Shingeki no Kyojin have a few volumes here and there.
- Kuroko no Basket’s volumes appear more frequently towards the bottom of the top 50.
- A few like Yotsuba& and Sangatsu no Lion also appear on the list
Overall, I think this years sales were more dispersed. Last year One Piece’s sales were considerably larger and as you can see, this year many series with anime have moved up leaps and bounds. Power of anime is very real.